8.08.2008

A Dealer in the Ghetto

I am really struggling with blogging right now. The fact that the internet was down and I share a computer with forty people doesn't help, but I think it has more to do with me. I can't do this experience justice. I can't write about everything that I am doing, because it would be impossible, for one, and because I want to keep some of it to myself. I guess I will have to be content with a disclaimer: I cannot express what this experience means to me. I will not try. I will just stick to sharing parts of my life here that I think are amusing.

I have taken on a second placement. I go in the afternoons, but only a couple of days a week. The place is called Etafeni, and is in one of the townships, and I help with the after school program. Yesterday was my first day, and it was great. A little girl named Sibongile attached herself to me right away. She asked me my name and tried to teach me Xhosa. She got out a picture book meant for five-year-olds and pointed to the words and spoke them to me. I repeated. She'd point to the cat and say, "ikati". I'd say, "ikati". She'd look at me and smile. "That's very good," she'd say. Then she'd get to a word with a X, C, Q or HL. These are sounds that my white tongue cannot make. Three of them are clicks. I told her that I can't do clicks and she kindly skipped all the words with those sounds from that point forward. She kept telling me how well I was doing. Then Vuyo, the guy in charge, brought in a small, silver suitcase and told me that it was a new game for the kids, and he wanted me to teach it to them. I opened it and found poker chips, dice and cards. There were instructions for Texas Hold 'Em that I couldn't decipher. I didn't want to let Vuyo down, but there was no way in hell I could teach fifteen kids from six to twelve years old how to play Texas Hold 'Em. So I taught them blackjack instead.

I love the randomness of life. If I had to guess, I would expect to be helping Sibongile with her homework. I saw her homework, and it is in Xhosa, so I won't be much help there. Instead, she became the teacher. I also never would have imagined that I would be in a township dealing blackjack to school children. But I was and I did, and like my experience in Africa as a whole, I doubt that I'll ever forget it.

3 comments:

plh said...

Annie, your postings make me laugh and cry. I am sure this experience will be life changing for you.

aunti said...

Annie, What an experience. It is hard not to fall in love with the kids in the kindergarten classes I work in-I am sure your little ones steal your heart.
aunt D

Unknown said...

Morning Annie, or is it night there???

Where do I find these pictures that Sarah was talking about?

Annie, I am so happy Africa is everything you were hoping for. I can feel your emotions through your words. I think we are just fortunate to be able to share any part of your experience.

How long until you home? Have a wonderful week end.
Love me